Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

If He Had Not Come ~ David Nicholson {TOS Review}

 
If He Had Not Come
 
This is my last review for the TOS Crew this year.  I will take next year off as we are embarking on new ministry and I want to give it all I have!  I hope to join the crew the following  year.  But for now, I am excited to end the year with this wonderful Christmas book!  I was given a physical hardcover copy of If He Had Not Come from David Nicholson.
 

 
If He Had Not Come was originally written by Nan F. Weeks,
and for the first time in 55 years it is updated and in print
thanks to David Nicholson.
cover
Recommended for ages 6 and up.
 
Who doesn't love a good Christmas book?  Christmas is my favourite holiday, and in our family it is all centered around Christ.  We read through the Scripture passages of Christ's birth throughout December.  Most of our holiday decorations are focused on Christ.  I have a beautiful nativity that sits as a focal point during the holidays, because I want my children (and others who enter our home) to know that Christ is the reason we celebrate. 

"If He Had Not Come" is a beautiful story that follows a little boy named Bobby who goes to sleep on Christmas Eve anxiously anticipating Christmas morning.  That night he dreams of what it would be like if He {Jesus} had not come.  Bobby learns that the best Gift ever given wasn't under his Christmas tree, but in his heart.

My children enjoyed reading this book together.  I have it on our coffee table, and I've seen them looking through it several times.  It's brought up many good discussions, and often in our prayers we thank God for sending His Son to come.  There is a section in the back of the book that gives discussion questions.  This is a wonderful addend to the book.
 
I loved this book not only because of the beautiful illustrations, but helping put life into perspective.  Have you ever thought about what it would be like if Jesus Christ had not come.  Take a moment and just ponder that.  I am so thankful that God loves us and chose to send His only Son into this sinful world to live as a perfect example for me and then die on the cross for me.  What amazing love!

I love that David shares on his website the free gift of salvation that is offered to all.  I hope you will take the time to read it, and if you haven't already, receive this free gift of salvation.  (I always have it at the bottom of my blog as well.)  Your life will never be the same!

David Nicholson came across this book many years ago, and it made such an impact in his life that he reintroduced it to today's generation.  It was written by Nan F. Weeks, which not much is none about her except that she was a teacher and wrote stories.  "If He Had Not Come" was originally published in 1938.  To read more behind the story and to read why David reintroduced this book in print check out the FAQ on his website.
 

 
You can purchase a copy for yourself here for $18.95.
 
If He Had Not Come on Facebook.

 For more reviews of the book, please click the link below...
Click to read Crew Reviews
 
Crew Disclaimer
 
 

No comments: